Sunday, December 9, 2012

French vs. Italian vs. Swiss Meringue


I've been reading a cookbook that I just bought and I came accross a page where they give a brief explanation on the three types of meringue. Not making meringue often, I always wonder how they are different from one another. Maybe these can help:



French Meringue

Easiest and simplest to do.

Egg whites are beaten until soft peaks stage. Sugar is then gradually added while beating continuously until stiff peaks stage is reached.

Italian Meringue

Egg whites are beaten until soft peaks stage, then boiling syrup (water + sugar) poured into it in a steady stream, beaning continuously until stiff peaks form.

Swiss Meringue

Most difficult to do.

Egg whites and sugar are placed in a bowl that is put over a bowl of boiling water, and then beaten until stiff peaks form.

Source: The Maya Kitchen - Cakes and Pastries

From this information, I would prefer to do the Italian meringue. The French version may be easy, but I don't like the idea of eating raw eggs. Swiss meringue may cook the eggs, but I don't want to extend my mixer near the stove/fire. Italian meringue is perfect for me, because the eggs will be cooked somehow, without having to mix it over the stove. :)

2 comments:

  1. they go in the oven after you do the mixing.... so why would you be eating raw eggs (french meringue)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of using them as cake frosting and that all of these are used as-is (without further cooking or baking). Is French meringue always baked?

    ReplyDelete